Line Balancing: is the assignment of work to stations in a line so as to achieve the desired output rate with the smallest number of workstations. Line Balancing must be perform when a line is set up initially when a line is rebalanced to change its hourly output rate or when product or process changes. Proper workload distribution to remove bottleneck and excess capacity. One of the simple techniques to asses the line balance is capacity study and pitch diagram of the various operation .The goals is to obtain work stations with well balanced workloads.
Video: Concept of Line Balancing
Why is Line Balancing essential for production line or the goal of Line Balancing:
- Everyone is doing same amount of work
- Doing same amount of work to customer requirement
- Variation is ‘Smoothed’.
- No one over burdened
- No one waiting
- Everyone working together in a BALANCED fashion
- Proper workload distribution to remove bottleneck and excess capacity.
Strategies for Line Balancing:
- Line Balance without any investment: Work splitting, use of skill matrix, method re-design, or re-engineering, reduce wasteful motions. Etc.
- Line Balance with low investment: Using guides and folders, using m/c with advance configuration , training operators and supervisors.
- Line Balance with high investment: Using parallel workstations, using high tech machines and equipments etc.