Yarn: Yarn can be defined as A continuous stand of twisted threads of natural or synthetic material, such as wool or nylon used in weaving or knitting. So a yarn is stand of natural or man-made fibers or filaments that have been twisted or grouped (jute) together for used in weaving, knitting, or other methods of constructing textile fabrics.
Yarn types: i) there are three types of yarn according to their structure:
- Staple Fibers or spun yarns
- Ply yarn (Folded or Cable or Core)
- Filaments yarns.
Video: Various types of Yarn
Staple Fibers/ Spun Yarn: It has limited length that varies according to the type such as cotton, wool, Jute etc. It has two types-
- Short staple fiber- Cotton.
- Long staple fiber- Other natural except silk.
Filament: It has continuous length that means the length of filaments is equal to the length of yarn. All man-made fibers are filament. Filaments are used as staple fiber but staple fiber can not be used as filament.
- ii) These yarn can be divided by the types of raw materials which we used for making the yarn. Such as-
- 100% cotton yarn.
- 100% polyester yarn.
- 100% viscose yarn.
- Cvc yarn: Cvc means cheap value of cotton. In this type of yarn the combination of cotton and polyester can be varied depending on the buyer requirement. Such as – 65% cotton + 35% polyester, 60% cotton + 40% polyester etc. Also mainly in this type of yarn the cotton part is always remain greater than the Polyester.
- Pc yarn: Pc means Polyester Cotton. In this type of yarn the cotton part is always remain less than Polyester.
- Grey Melange yarn: The mixture of cotton and viscose , the percentage depends on buyer requirements.
iii) According to the manufacturing process yarn can classified into two types:
Rotor Spun yarn and Ring Spun yarn.
Ring Spun yarn can be divided into two types: 1. Carded yarn 2.Combed yarn.